Sep 24, 2009 Author: Dr_ViRuS
Follow these steps to install Smarty on your server. Create a directory on your server within the web root named smarty to store the core Smarty files.
- Go to http://smarty.net/ and download the latest version of Smarty. Decompress and extract it to a folder on your computer.
- Transfer all Smarty files from your computer to the smarty directory on your server.
- On your server, create another directory called templates for your Smarty templates. Create two subdirectories here: html for the raw templates and compile for Smarty-compiled templates.
- Make the compile directory writeable by the webserver.
- In the templates directory, create (or upload) a file called smarty_initialize.php, containing the following:
<?php define ("SMARTY_DIR", "/path/to/web/root/smarty/"); require_once (SMARTY_DIR."Smarty.class.php"); $smarty = new Smarty; $smarty->compile_dir = "/path/to/web/root/templates/compile"; $smarty->template_dir = "/path/to/web/root/templates/html"; ?>
Four aspects of the smarty_initialize.php file are very important:
- The SMARTY_DIR constant points at the Smarty library directory.
- To load the library, smarty_initialize.php requires the Smarty.class.php file.
- Because Smarty is object-oriented, you must create a new Smarty object. This script does so with $smarty = new Smarty.
- Smarty needs to know where your template and compile directories